The City of New Albany pickleball complex closed for the season on January 1 and will reopen in the spring. Keep an eye out for reopening date details in our weekly Connects email (subscribe at newalbanyohio.org/subscribe) and on our social media. We look forward to seeing everyone on the courts again this spring!
New Albany Pickleball Complex
The City of New Albany invites you to visit our new pickleball complex! The project, which is located adjacent to the New Albany Public Service facility and the Michael Lucey Memorial Basketball Courts at 7300 Walnut St., includes 16 tournament-level pickleball courts suitable for all skill levels. The site also includes a parking lot with spaces for 64 vehicles plus parallel parking along the service drive to accommodate up to 40 vehicles. Additional features are currently in the planning stage.
The courts are primarily “open play” for the time being. The City of New Albany plans to partner with New Albany Parks and Recreation to utilize a system for reserving courts in 2024.
Look for more information about the pickleball complex as the project progresses on New Albany’s social media accounts and in our weekly Connects email. You can subscribe at NewAlbanyOhio.org/subscribe.
- Private instruction for pay is prohibited without the advance written approval of the City of New Albany and the New Albany Parks & Recreation.
- Court hours: dawn to dusk.
- Limit play to 1 hour if others are waiting.
- Use at your own risk.
- No activities except pickleball are allowed on the courts.
- No glass containers, alcohol, or gum permitted within the court complex.
- No pets allowed within the court complex.
- No golf carts are permitted outside of the facility driveway or parking lot.
- No smoking, vaping, or use of tobacco products is permitted within the property.
- No climbing on fences.
- No profanity, abusive behavior or language allowed.
- Place all trash and waste in appropriate receptacles.
- Proper attire including clothing and athletic sneakers must be worn at all times.
- Children 12 and under must be supervised by an adult.
- Remain in spectator area while you are waiting to play.
- City of New Albany Maintenance and New Albany Parks & Recreation-sponsored programs have priority use of the courts.
- Courts may be closed due to inclement weather. The New Albany Parks & Recreation staff will determine play and court availability with regard to weather.
- For concerns about court rules violations, contact New Albany Parks & Recreation: (614) 939-7275.
OPEN PLAY GUIDELINES:
- Single play only during non-peak time or when players are not waiting.
- If all courts are in use (PEAK TIME), please use the Paddle Rack System to determine who plays next.
- After a completed match, all 4 players should exit the court and allow 4 new players on. If score is not being kept, rotate off after 15 minutes of play. At no time should 4 players remain on the court and start a new game when there are paddles in the paddle rack.
- Games played to 11, win by 2.
- If you lose and would like to play again – exit the court immediately and place your paddle in the first available opening in the “Paddle Rack” from left-to-right.
- Players play maximum of 2 games, then exit courts and place paddle in the “Paddle Rack.”
- When there are more than 4 paddles on the rack, the NEXT marker is used to show which paddles have been on the rack the longest. When a court becomes available, the NEXT marker is moved to the right to designate the next group (when the group going onto the courts is the far-right group, move the marker to the far-left group).
- Be Courteous. Be Respectful. COMMUNICATE. Have Fun.
CHALLENGE COURT RULES
- Courts 1 and 3 are designated as Challenge Courts
- Games will be played to 11 points, win by 2.
- The winning team may stay on the Challenge Court until they are defeated or whenever they choose to relinquish the court.
- At the end of each game, the players with the next 2 paddles in the “Paddle Rack” will take the court as challengers. If the winning team chooses to relinquish the court, then the next 4 paddles in the “Paddle Rack” will take the court.