The City of New Albany intends to promote effective communication and maintain a respectful dialogue. In that spirit, the rules for posting external comments to City of New Albany social channels are intended to maintain a productive and open forum for community discussion. Our moderators use the regulations below to ensure that posted comments are constructive and suitable for all readers, while respecting a range of opinions and points of view.
- Comments must be civil and may not contain slanderous, libelous, malicious, offensive, threatening, profane, or insulting language.
- Content and language that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation are not permitted.
- References to the personality of individuals, personal attacks, or potentially libelous statements are not permitted.
- Advertising, spam and promotional announcements are not permitted.
- Comments may not include personally identifiable information, such as an address, phone number, social security number, or other sensitive information.
- Comments of a sexual nature or links to sexual content are not permitted.
- Comments may not represent a person other than the one posting the comment.
- Comments encouraging illegal activity are not permitted.
- “Trolling” behaviors, including inflammatory, digressive, extraneous and/or off-topic comments and posts are not permitted.
- Solicitations of commerce are not permitted.
- Requesting off-page contact or messaging from other page followers, posters or commenters is not permitted.
- Participants are responsible for what they post. Comments must not breach any law, confidentiality, or copyright.
- New Albany’s government is nonpartisan and the city does not take formal positions on local, state or national candidates or issues. As such, the city’s social media sites should not be used by residents to comment on political candidates or issues.
Social media can be a wonderful tool for sharing thoughts and bringing people together, but comments and content that are not considered by the City of New Albany, in its sole discretion, to be within the outlined regulations are subject to deletion. The City of New Albany also reserves the right to block or delete individuals who violate this policy.
The content posted by others to the City of New Albany’s social media channels does not necessarily reflect the opinions and positions of the City of New Albany, its elected officials or its employees. Questions concerning the online moderation of these channels should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-855-3913.
Last update: 10-12-20