Thursday is the normal collection day for trash, yard waste and recyclables in New Albany. However, collection days may vary from time to time due to holidays, weather conditions and other factors. Please make sure to place all trash, recycling and yard waste at the curb before 7 am. Collection is provided by Rumpke, which bills residents directly. For more information, please click here or call Rumpke at 1-800-828-8171.
The quantity of trash is not limited per household. Bulk materials such as boards, fencing, paneling or carpeting should be cut into four-foot by four-foot lengths and tied in 18-inch bundles weighing no more than 50 pounds. Loose materials such as rocks, sod, bricks, blocks, dirt, sand and cement must be bagged, boxed or placed in trash cans, and weigh no more than 50 pounds. Cardboard boxes used as receptacles will not be collected if they have become wet. Furniture or appliances that are in one piece will be picked up on regular collection days. Upholstered items such as mattresses and furniture must be wrapped in plastic.
Trash of a commercial nature (generated by businesses, contractors hired to perform services for homeowners, etc.) will not be collected.
Rumpke has expanded the list of acceptable materials. Residents can typically recycle the following:
- Glass Bottles & Jars (all colors)
- Metal Cans: Aluminum cans, steel cans and lids, empty aerosol cans with the lids and tips removed
- Plastic Bottles (empty, crush, reattach lid): Bottles and jugs that have a small mouth and wider base, such as milk jugs, soda bottles, laundry detergent bottles, water bottles, shampoo bottles and contact solution bottles
- Paper: newspaper, magazines, cardboard, mixed office paper and envelopes, paperboard (cereal boxes), pizza boxes free of food debris and grease, telephone books and catalogs
- Cartons: food and beverage cartons, such as milk, juice, soup, wine, broth and other cartons.
- Mix all items together – no separation required
- Empty all bottles, jugs and cans
- No need to remove labels
- For plastic bottles, empty, crush and reattach lids
- For cartons, remove plastic caps and straws
- NEVER place medical sharps or needles in the recycling
- DON’T use plastic bags
NOT for Recycling
No plastic bags, cassette tapes, bed sheets, hangers, metal chains, garden hoses, batteries, needles, syringes, electronics, polystyrene foam, buckets, butter tubs, car parts, food, yard waste, light bulbs, drinking glasses, ceramics, pots, pans, and scrap metal.
Learn how to “Recycle Right” by heading to RecycleRight.org.
Yard Waste Collection
Rumpke collects yard waste on the same service day as refuse and recycling. Yard waste should be put in paper yard waste bags or a trash can marked for yard waste only. Branches or twigs that are cut down to four feet in length and no larger than two inches in diameter must be tied and bundled for collection.
A certified technician must remove CFC (chlorofluorocarbons) from Freon-containing appliances, including refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners. In preparation for collection, the appliances must have a certificate of removal on it. Rumpke can also remove the CFC for a fee of $65. Please call Rumpke to make the necessary arrangements for CFC removal at 1-800-828-8171 prior to collection.
New Albany strives to provide the best services possible. If you have any problems with pick-ups or other concerns, please contact us at 614-855-0076.
If your residence will be vacant for three months or more, please call 614-855-0076 to suspend waste services during your absence.
Residents age 60 or older who are head of the household qualify for a senior discount of 10% off base collection rates. For more information, please call 614-855-0076.